Awareness-Raising Workshop – Prevenzione della radicalizzazione dei giovani in carcere e diritti umani. Approcci e pratiche
On May 31th 2023, Sereny project coordinator Università della Campania “Luigi Vanvitelli” held its awareness-raising workshop, titled “Prevention of youth radicalization in jail and human rights. Approaches and practices“.
Addressed to prison and probation staff, academia, judicial and law enforcement authorities, policy-makers, and CSOs, the Awareness-Raising Workshops take place in each country involved in the project in order to sensitize target audience and disseminate project results achieved so far.
Vanvitelli University’s Law School hosted a one-day hybrid event with a conference with interventions by Sereny staff presenting project results so far, as well as academic, judicial, and prison administration representatives giving an overview and reflecting upon the Italian prison system with regards to the risk and prevention of radicalization. In the afternoon, a round table took place with the contributions of experts on youth radicalization in prison and probation from various sectors: academic, CSOs, institutional.
- Welcome speech by Prof. Raffaele Picaro, Direttore del Dipartimento di Giurisprudenza,
Università della Campania
- Prof. Maria Pia Iadicicco, Sereny Project Coordinator, Associate Professor of Public Law – Vanvitelli University
- Counsellor Marcello Bortolato, President of Florence Probation Court
- Dr. Carla Ciavarella, Director of Bureau V – Coordination of Institutional Cooperation Relations of the Prison Administration Department (DAP)
- Giovanni Fiandaca, Emeritus Professor of Criminal Law, University of Palermo
Round Table moderated by Prof. Alida Lococo, Full Professor of Development and Education Psychology, University of Palermo
- Dr. Luca Guglielminetti, Italian representative of the Radicalization Awareness Network (RAN)
- Dr. Gemma Tuccillo, former Head of the Department of Juvenile and Community Justice
- Dr. Ezio Giacalone, Central Investigation Unit (NIC) Commander
- Nicolò Maria Iannello, Research fellow at the Law School of the University of Palermo.
More awareness-raising workshops and dissemination events are taking place in all of the countries where project partners are based.